Ambalappuzha is a small town in the Alappuzha district of Kerala state, south India. It is located 14 km (8.7 mi) south of Alappuzha which is the district headquarters. Ambalapuzha is divided into the two panchayats of Ambalapuzha North and Ambalapuzha South.
Ambalapuzha is a coastal town, near National Highway 47, about 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) south of Allepey. The Sree Krishna Temple is located 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) east of the town junction.
Ambalapuzha assembly constituency is part of Alappuzha (Lok Sabha constituency)
Source - Wikipedia [Apr 2021]
The headquarters of the historic Chempakasseri Ambalapuzha rajahs were near the temple. Ambalappuzha remained an independent principality under the Chempakasseris until the mid-18th century when it was conquered and absorbed by the Kingdom of Travancore under Marthanda Varma (1706–1758). Thereafter, the Chempakasseri royal family went into decline.
The Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple is believed to have been built in 790 M.E by the local ruler Chembakasserry Pooradam Thirunal-Devanarayanan Thampuran. The payasam served at the Ambalappuzha Temple is widely known among Hindu devotees. This sweet pudding made of rice and milk has an interesting mythological legend behind it. In this temple 'Pallipana' is performed by velans or sorcerers once every twelve years. Human sacrifice was conducted in ancient times, but roosters have now replaced humans on the sacrificial altar.